Own Your Shit, or How I Became a Witch

The Witch

Shit’s been getting real. I don’t know if it’s the solar flares, the spring equinox, the dark moon, and retrogrades of Mars, Mercury, and Saturn all happening this week or if it’s my Saturn return really starting to kick in. Welcome to the crossroad folks. I’ve spent the past half-year in a dark night of the soul (albeit a rather cheerful, social one) trying to accept everything the Fates throw at me with the grace and balls of a Lady. I like to think I’ve been doing quite well at it, but some things have suffered a bit while I was figuring out who I am, who I want to be, what I want to do, and what direction to take my art and businesses (you know, the light stuff).  My blogging and writing have definitely suffered. I’ve been so introspective and some of my spiritual practices have felt so private that I’ve had a hard time wanting to write for public consumption. But… Saturn and I have been chatting (it’s much easier to go along with the Old Man than to resist) and he somehow crushed all my fears so that I was left wondering why I let them stop me in the first place.

Saturn says own your shit: I am a bone collector and scavenger of the dead. I am a poisoner and a ritual user of entheogens. I am a healer and cleanser of the soul. I am a seer who sees the future in dreams, visions, cards, tea leaves, and omens in nature. I am a dream walker and shaper. I am a shapeshifter of the flesh and the spirit. I am a witch who consorts with the spirits of animals, plants, and the dead – in this world, in the otherworld, and in the underworld. I am a priestess of Light, Intoxication, Fate, Death, and Sex. This is who I am now.

This is how I became a witch…

I was baptized Catholic so you know I’m definitely going to Hel. I had grown up in Sunday school from when I was born until the age of fifteen – Catholic, Anglican, United… they ran together after a while. In my early teens I had the best Sunday school teacher ever – he taught us all to think for ourselves, to question everything, and to do the right thing instead of what we were told or expected to do. When I was fifteen we were going to a Baptist church (who pretended the Old Testament was a figment of their imagination) and I realized I wasn’t feeling full of God’s love like the others, I had no patience for guilt or shame, and I believed in sex before marriage with anyone you chose. So I left. At the time I thought witches were mythological creatures, cool, but not real.

After that it started innocently enough with my early love of dreams, fairy tales, and folklore escalating into a passion for herbs, astrology, and palmistry. I started lighting candles on the full moon for prayers of blessing upon my family and friends. I started doing bits of sympathetic magic like writing problems on a piece of paper and burning it, wishing things to sort themselves, and then having it work. I found a book of Druidry at my grandmother’s and copied out the symbols into notebooks and as protection runes over the doors and windows of my first dorm room at college. It was then that my roommate admitted to me she was Wiccan. She was a gorgeous sexy Scorpio with dark eyes, skin, and hair. She told me she was a witch, worshipped the moon, and performed rituals. “Wait, witches exist? I must investigate this further.” A successive roommate was also Wiccan and she used to read tarot cards for me. The naughty Libra I was seeing at the time was an energy worker and told me he’d started to practice as a Wiccan. I figured all these Wiccans couldn’t be coincidence and finally researched what it was all about for a few months. I read, I went to local Pagan pub moots, I chatted up the Wiccans, I went to covens’ rituals…

Nope, not my cup of tea. I wanted to be like Malcolm Bird‘s witches and Baba Yaga instead. I wanted the darker more folkloric witches of my favourite childhood fairy tales. It took me a while to find them. In between I found occultism, chaos Magic, energy work, and grimoire magic. I was very good at chaos magic – especially glamouring, curses, energy manipulation, and calling spirits. Sigil magic and Osman Spare turn me on. I consorted with shapeshifters, energy vampires, necromancers, chaos magicians, and a sexy wild witch who’d never read a book on magic or heard of Wicca, but could do things beyond most adepts. She and I were sirens and maenads together in the streets of Toronto; finding magic and making mischief wherever we went. I was a line cook on Bloor St. back then. If you were there at the time, maybe you would’ve seen 20-year-old me in the shady Green Room after a night shift talking about magic with the other cooks over a pint of beer and then sneaking into the alley after to smoke a joint. I read tarot and palms in cafés and did rituals in parks at midnight under the full moon with the crack heads looking on in amusement.

And then I found Traditional Witchcraft. Bells went off, Demons sang, fiddles played… It was dirty and practical – based in the folklore and fairy tales I loved so well. It was folk magic and I fell completely in love. It was pretty much everything I believed and practiced up to that point. I loved that darker, more secretive, devil at the crossroad, dirty blood and bones style of witchcraft. It really turned me on in a way I hadn’t experienced before with magic. It was sexy to me and more alluring than the subversiveness of chaos magic and the dangers of energy work. As you can see I never really went the Goddess-loving route. When I found my “inner goddess” she was Pompa Gira, Lilith, siren and succubus, chthonic devourer of sexual energies… I thought it best my inner goddess should remain inner (unless behind consenting closed doors). Some occultists ritually cut ties with the Church by saying the Lord’s Prayer backwards – I had sex with a girl in front of a church during Sunday service – potayto potahto (did I not mention I’m bisexual?). Now my background and associates may be darker than your average Pagan woman, but I assure you I am a good, honest, sweet, moral person… just more hedonistic and foul-mouthed than most (I did say I was once a line cook). As one of my favourite local singers once said: “one man’s evil is another man’s amusement park.”

We just lost some of the men for a minute so I’ll speak of my less titillating adventures in the Pagan community. Cooks travel. A lot. After working in restaurants and practicing magic in Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto I moved back home to British Columbia – to the Pacific Ocean and the mountains upon mountains of my childhood. After a horrible experience with a teacher who taught me nothing, but from whom I learned much, I joined local Pagan groups and I went to the rituals and parties of local covens. I attended the local Pagan festivals and Pagan Pride Day. I dated Wiccans. I hung out with more Wiccans, Druids, Heathens, Thelemites, Heremeticists, Hellenic reconstructionists… I started hosting rituals for 20-50 people in my ritual group. It was really good practice and experience – kills stage fright and teaches you how to be practical, entertaining, and facilitate the spiritual experiences of others. I was invited to join a few covens but I turned them down because, as much as I loved the people, I knew Wicca wasn’t for me.

I met my witchcraft teacher by accident (there are no real accidents with Fate, however). We bonded as friends over our love of reading and snarking occult books. We shared our spiritual beliefs and practices almost exactly. I didn’t know who he was. I just thought he was a very cool, wickedly intelligent, and darkly sarcastic man and witch. Our quick minds, sharp tongues, and darker leanings matched perfectly. It was uncanny and wonderful – like being the only philosopher in a small village and suddenly another philosopher comes to visit and you speak for hours upon hours on all manner of things you never could with anyone else around you. We would talk so much and so long sometimes we would forget to eat or sleep. I’m sure his husband thought we were a bit mad. At the time he wasn’t accepting students and I wasn’t looking for a teacher. Some things are just meant to be. He initiated me and trained me. Those rare non-Wiccan witchcraft lineages do exist in North America my friends – they’re just quiet and keep to themselves so as not to draw attention. Most of the great magics going on right now are by those who quietly go about their business consorting with spirits.

My teacher believes in studying paths and beliefs outside of your own and out of your comfort zone. He is wise. I studied Haitian Vodou, hoodoo/rootwork, and shamanism. They seemed so foreign when I first approached them, but after passionate research doors opened, spirits sang, drums sounded… The elements I loved in Traditional Witchcraft were there too. The common elements that screamed at me were spirit work, sympathetic magic, folk magic, and ancestor worship – the working with blood, bones, plants, and dirt. I am not a practitioner of Vodou or Hoodoo, but I know them well and still talk to and feed some of the Lwa. It was at this time I realized and accepted I was an animist and spirit worker, not a god-worker like most modern Witches and Pagans I knew. Learning outside my comfort zone allowed me to return to my craft with missing puzzle pieces and a better understanding of my own path. I found balance in working with the animal and plant spirits of our world, the spirits of the upperworld, and the spirits of the dead in the underworld. I found the World Tree. I learned how to navigate the other worlds. I returned to witchcraft with a cosmology of my own understanding.

Suddenly every fairy tale, folk tale, myth, and ancient symbol I read made sense on a deeper level. Something clicked and I understood the symbolism locked away in some primeval ancestral part of my brain. My abilities as a mystic, seer, and dream walker evolved and strengthened. I suspended disbelief and decided to just go with my visionary experiences and interactions with spirit. Shit got real – fast. I am glad I worked through my fears and went with it. I am grateful I had someone to tell me I wasn’t crazy and what I was going through was normal (for a mystic-witch-seer). And so here I am now; a sane, adept, ever-learning, ever-seeking witch.

I still consort with chaos magicians, energy workers, necromancers, and shapeshifters, but now I’ve added seers, shamans, traditional witches, and rootworkers to the pot. We run wild in forests under the moon and stars beating our drums and calling on spirits. We pass bottles of our home-brewed meads around the bonfires in reverential offering. We ingest leaf and mushroom to open doors to the other world. We whisper to each other of futures seen and deeds not yet done. We live magic.

Comments

57 Responses to “Own Your Shit, or How I Became a Witch”

1. Thank you for sharing your story :)

2. anthropomorphica says:

Aah, a breath of dark, sultry air…
    Thank you for laying the bare bones of your journey before us, I like your dark, no nonsense and vivacious ways. I’m relieved to have waded knee deep through the fluff and finally found your blog ;)

3. anthropomorphica says:

P.s. I adore the green!

4. Marjolijn Ashara says:

This left me speechless for a moment (with me, the moments usually pass quickly, so prepare for an avalanche of words :))

I just want to say what an amazing inspiration you are. This story is an amazing example for that, finding your own roots and discovering your own path no matter where or what it is.

When I discovered paganism and witchcraft I knew there had to be more. More than the Goddess worship and the light-and-fluffy rituals. Not that there is anything wrong with those, but sometimes, I’m just not as light-and-fluffy as I once had believed me to be. I’ve read a lot, searched a lot, but couldn’t find anything that tied into the roots of what I believed. And then I found your blog. And I read and read and realised that yes, there was more out there and yes, I wasn’t alone. Our paths may not be the same but they are parallel and your posts and articles and art have added to my courage to dig deeper and aim higher. To finally take the final leap and practice instead of read. (although I still have to take that leap, but now I’m ready) To embrace my inner Wild Witch and let her shine.

So I guess I just wanted to thank you for being a wise woman, a teacher and an inspiration for witches everywhere.

Love and Leaves,
    Marjolijn Ashara
    the Netherlands

5. dreema says:

In order to know where you’re going, remember where you’re from – wisdom I got from a sidewalk shaman ages ago.

The past few months have indeed been a Own Your Shit period for many folks I know of the witchy persuasion. Being on a different Path from the rest of the world seems to make us more willing to acknowledge and admit when shit is gettin’ real and we have to stand up and put our big kid pants on.

Cheers for giving the glimpse into your history. Ashe!

6. The Green Room! One of my old haunts. Awesome post, thanks for sharing. :)

• I was hoping someone would get that reference! It was such a magical yet sketchy bar hidden in the back alley in a world of its own. Good beer mmm

• Laurel says:

The Green Room is probably one of the only places that could pull off Ms. Mannequin on the wall {with the bra} and have it somehow fit. That or perhaps Pimblett’s Pub when it was still around. ;)

7. Wow this post blew me away also this early morning. Thank you for your openness and raw honesty. I have been practicing one thing or another for decades and i have only met maybe a handful of witches who would understand this, but age brings its experiences at least in my case. I have somehow made a gumbo of witchcraft, Himalayan shamanism, Thelema, Shaivism, bloodless Vodoun, etc. I too have worked in and run a coven and still do somewhat, it being one that goes back at least to the 60s here in the states. But i practice my best witchcraft (Not wicca) alone in the woods with the indian and nature spirits here in these old mountains. Thanks for sharing this and making me feel less alone in my strange eclectic path. Lee Shawnus

8. you are an awesome writer. Thank you for sharing all these bits of your magical and mundane life, they are truly inspiring and helpful.

9. hisprecious1 says:

Now I know why I love reading your blog! Thanks for sharing!

10. Annora says:

Hi Sarah,

We don’t know each other, I’ve been following you on Twitter and Facebook only for a few months or so, and now I just dropped in to say thanks for everything you share with us. This latest entry is wonderful, sincere and highly inspirational; I’m in absolute love with your blog and artwork, and your webshop looks amazing as well.

Thanks again for allowing us to take a deeper look into your extraordinary yet natural world. Keep up the good work! :)

Annora

11. Bri Saussy says:

Love this Ms. Lawless–its a beautiful tale of the growth & evolution of your own practice/tradition and I think many of the folks I consort with will find similar themes in their own stories. I particularly appreciate the distinction you made between a “God-worker” as opposed to an animist who works with blood, bone, and spirit–so refreshing!

12. lancemfoster says:

heavy stuff, Sarah…wasn’t there an experience with an older woman-teacher you had to escape from too? or am i confused…

as for myself, i am still learning where i fit in to all of it. i did not reject my Church though they seemingly reject me, I have a love for Mary and her Son.. yet to me All is Alive and Holy (not that Holy always = benevolent)

my real thing is trying to be what I was created to be by Grandfather and Hina Maya, and learning to help the Land and family, …”All My Relatives”

i like you, from what i have come to know about you, and your art kicks butt…not just your visual art…your life is your art :-)

• You are quite right Lance, I must be really good at mental blocking, lol! I just slipped in a reference and a link to the story of my “Baba Yaga” teacher.

I admit I still visit holy shrines and have a love for novena candles. I still have some great talks on spirituality with my Christian mom and French Catholic godfather.

I think you’re pretty amazing too – and life should definitely be art!

13. ladyyaga says:

I love your writing and your research! Thank you for sharing. I can relate to your more animistic approach and your blog has been inspiring and helping me explore my path.

14. Gordon says:

GREAT post… One heck of an origin story.

15. Trishkill says:

I was brought up Lutheran and also did not feel what they taught. In high school a friend that practiced Wicca showed me their ways which led me to meet more Wiccans and make more witchy friends, but, same as many others, I knew it wasn’t for me either when I found my darker talents. Thank you so much for sharing. I was beginning to think I was alone, but you are an inspiration, a muse and a beautiful woman.

16. Corvidae says:

Inspirational post! It’s fascinating to me to read about the fires and anvils that shape us, no two completely alike.

Thank you so much for sharing!

17. florasita says:

Oh my I had a whole comment written then stupid wordpress shhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeesh !

what a beautiful descritptive post ♥
    I too was blessed with a wonderful teacher Midewikwe , and yes I’ve always had so many beautiful teachers , elders always given when needed not when I was looking ☺
    lately I feel really the need to teach people not all shaman/midewiwin are called to use baneful herbs/plants via consumption and that is the whole way in which we work with plants when we beleive they are teacher not just a substance . we will work with , pray with and be patient enough to know the teaching of that plant .
    at times I feel isolated being more comforatble with the dead then the living but again always someone is sent to bring that sweet gift of affrimation ☺

18. ellenwaff says:

It is fabulous to encounter a person who not only listens to her inner promptings, but proceeds to follow them. Thank you!

19. Jennifer Pryse says:

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I needed to read this today. I honor you and the work you do in this world and others. I’m so glad I’ve found you!

20. Steve Tanner says:

Thank you. This is an inspiring post. I started as Wiccan, but have found myself drawn to study other paths also. I’m really not sure what label fits me best and (quite frankly) I have come to not care about labels. However, this post not only inspires me to continue following my “path,” but suggests this may be a natural process. I agree that this is an awesome post.

21. Kelly says:

A true believer in Fate myself, I’ve only been following your blog for a short time and want so much to learn from you. Your practice resonates with my path and I was going to email you to ask questions, then you published this post. The Universe is listening… :)

22. Pipo Hexe says:

Wow… that was just what I needed to get back to books and keep on trying. Your story reminded myself not so long ago and provides me an inspiration on keep on the road. I’ve been in a dead point since last october, when I was seduced by fear and dissapointment. I spent the dark part of the year literally doing nothing (what a shame!) but spring just returned and I feel ready to go out there and find my path. Thanks a lot for sharing this inspiring story!

23. Harlan says:

the title says it all, own it! so grateful to see another lion-hearted animist in the world sharing the dark beauty with others. thank you.

24. dailywild says:

yes, yes, and more yes! I have found home in you!!!! I am seeking that which you speak of….trying to get down to the REAL dirty, nitty, gritty, stuff.So, far, all I’m finding is the FLUFF. so I’m on my own for now, hoping to find others. Thank you for putting yourself out there! I love coming here!

25. Oracle says:

Dear Sara,
    I don’t think I have written you before, but I have been following your blog for more than a year. I am an initiated wiccan in a coven and I am not satisified. I love the people here but I feel a different calling. Your recent post has knocked my socks off! I realized that is what I am. I cannot seem to connect with a goddess as a requirement of my coven. The closest I have gotten is Seshat. BUT I have Elegba kicking my ass ever since I perused the Hatian Voudou info two years ago. I had several key solid things happen to me that no other pantheon gave. I will not go into detail. But I started out in the beginning wanting to be a shaman. Ever since I was a child, I felt different. You see I have crossed eyes, so that in itself makes me an outcast. I am also a seer, astrologer, tarot reader and a student of the Qabala. I am a dream walker, and I hear voices. I channell when I am intoxicated. I am needing a teacher. Books are great, but not practical for real experience. Is there anyone you know who can help me cross the chasm I have found myself in?
    Btw I live in the desert of SE Washington state. My name is Oracle on Witchvox. If there is anything else you need to know, don’t hesitate to ask!
    Thank you for listening to me ramble on. I think it is time I became less of a hermit, get out from the computer and dusty books!
    Oracle

26. Salena says:

Lovely, just lovely.

27. this sounds like home to me as well. thank you for posting

28. Angelina says:

Fascinating and every word rings a true bell for me. It’s been amazing watching your transformation this past year and I love hearing your story ^_^. Seems like lots of people are going through their “a-ha” moments recently, readily being who they were meant to be. I myself was recently told by my new mentor to shed some of the layers I’ve put over myself in the last year and get down to what it is I know and love most- she says it’s those layers that create a fog between me and the spirits. Naturally, I was a little offended lol,but I’ve begun to see what she means. When i worked at a reader at the local tarot shop, I didn’t do much honoring of the spirits and my lack of servitude has come back to bite me. So, I am undergoing the great transformation of the soul- trying to figure out what I’m best at, what the spirits want from me and why I am standing in my own way trying to be anything but what I am. Saturn indeed!

I like seeing your inner layers,what makes you tick- it’s a learning experience. Thank you for sharing your story.

29. Dearest Sarah,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful experience with us! You are so open and transparent, something I completely envy and strive towards. Yet you have that mystery about you that makes you so alluring.

All the best,
    Eric.

30. I am always glad to hear of some one finding one’s self and going for all one can strive for!
    Congrats and kudos to you!
    Loved the post btw lol
    Take care, be safe and walk softly but firmly between the worlds!

Namaste!

Selwynn WhiteThorne

31. witchingwild says:

You are one of the most inspiring witches that I’ve ever come across. You have inspired me to do the following over the past year: work in the shadows, wildcraft, write my own blog, study traditional witch plants and get back to the wild witch I have always been in my roots, the one I was when I didn’t know any god’s names except Wind and Rain and Lightning and Moon. I am so glad that you continue to write. May all of your needs be met and your path become aflame with blessings.
    ~Cicada

32. ariel says:

For me this post forces me to kick it into gear. I am away at an incredible semster school in the Sierra Nevada Foothills learning about peace and activism and a connection with the land. But I feel like this has formed two different sides of me. Part of me longs to fight for what I believe in and stand up for my rights, yet another ( possibly larger) part of me wants to move away from it all. To get away from the people, the cities, the governments. To live what I believe to do what I love every day. Working with plants, and spirits, and animals. Though I feel right now my life ( living away from all this) has been put on the back burner and I have not had the opprotunity to truly think about what it is that I want and to make those hard choices. You post reaffirms to me that I am not the only one like me in a sea of people and gives me hope that though sometime the path you take may not be easy or pleasant but it is the right one. so I guess I just want to thank you for being such an influence on my life.

33. Grytxyn says:

Sarah, thank you so much for this. I can relate to your journey in many ways, and it’s nice to find that. Your writing inspires, informs, and, most important for me, affirms a lot. And that means so much.

34. I had to drop in here real quick and say that this blog post was the last thing I read before I went to sleep last night. After a particularly not-so-good dose of still lingering sickness. Had wonderful dreams and woke up with my head full of ideas and plans. Keep heading in the direction your naturally gliding towards…it’s helping more than just yourself. Thank you.

35. Penthasilia says:

Wonderful post Sarah! Sometimes people forget that there is much more out there than Wicca. While I don’t downplay that mode of being, for those of us who dance in the shadows and waltz lovingly with death, it simply is not the best path. It is about finding your own path and walking it well. Kudos to you!

Being Feri, I always remember what Victor (Anderson) always said, “White magick is poetry, black magick is anything that works!”
    :D

36. SAH says:

I just found your blog and I have really enjoyed it! I am a young pagan, still trying to figure out what “fits” but I am enjoying the journey!

37. Cin says:

:) Aw, I’m glad you shared your story. And I feel pretty blessed that I got to hear bits of it in person and now have more of it! ~hugs~

<3 Keep on rocking your way. Cause its awesome.

38. laureleiblack says:

Enchanting.

39. hegelsholiday says:

In addition to the retrogrades of Mars, Mercury, and Saturn, this new moon was conjunct with the asteroid Atropos, the oft-dreaded Fate. Interesting events unfolding, for sure.

40. jowzeph says:

Oh Sarah, and I thought I couldn’t love you more. It’s good that you didn’t fight your nature, good for you, as you’re happier, and good for me, as I enjoy reading your blog and buying your wares.

The Old Man is kind, even in cruelty. You have it right about not fighting against your Saturn return, that makes things so much worse. Roll with it, and you’ll be fine.

41. Ian Phanes says:

I love this sentence. I particularly love the term “god worker”. It feels much more right for what I do than “priest” does. I can and do function as a priest, but the core of my work is as a god worker. That’s what enables me as a diviner and empowers much of my magical workings.

Thanks!

42. Kiki says:

Thank you for sharing. It’s amazing the parallels that can often be found among those who practice this type of magic. While I am not practicing, I too have always been looking for the witches of folklore and fairy tales. It’s one of the reasons I have studied mythology so ardently. I am currently more of a chaote than anything else, but what you, and others, do speaks to me on a level that chaos magic doesn’t seem to provide. So now I am researching. Thank you for being a source of inspiration and information.

43. theredlass says:

Very deep shit here. Thank you for being so open and honest with us about how you came down this road. It takes a lot of balls to be so brutally honest with a group of strangers (though I’m sure you know some of your followers personally). I have always admired that fact that you can be so open both on a personal and professional level. Ohio isn’t exactly the epitome of liberalism. *chuckle* When my girlfriend was designing my site, I told her to make it witchy but not obviously witchy. I’ve also gotten away from telling people that I am pagan. It just…well…it just doesn’t seem like something everyone needs to know. It’s my same policy as being gay. I am, none of your business, accept it or don’t it’s not my concern nor does my life depend upon your reaction.

44. This post is truly inspirational. I too have been going through something this year so far – there have been heartaches and happiness, sorrow and joy, but there has been within myself a question of the path I walk and whether or not I am truly a witch. I have communed with the old ones and believe I know where I am now walking, I believe my path will be long, it will be winding and the roads will be twisted. There is much to know and much to learn and you are part of the reason I am able to look at myself and my motivation at a deeper level.

I have been following your blog for some time now, I find your work interesting and different. As a witch who works primarily with herbs and is studying to become a herbalist I like to read about your herbal adventures. Your honesty and ability to hold nothing back is truly fantastic and I know that I will be a follower of this blog for as long as it is written.

You are a gifted writer and your heart and passion is so evident in they way you write (plus you seem totally kick ass and I love it!).

45. Melina says:

Thanks for share your trip!

46. thank you for sharing your story

47. amandajillian says:

You are awesome =]

48. Lifencompass says:

I really appreciate this story. I see myself constantly growing, retaining good roots and truths, finding means and paths but always returning to growth and rooting.

Your story is inspiring because I find myself returning always to Witchcraft, and my definition of it always shifting and growing closer, cutting deeper to the core of my life and connection. I look back at 25+ years and see where I was so green and just book reading and fingering my nose to when the real moments began to happen in energy work, or intuition, or the real travel happened and seeing how I had only just imagined it before.

Your post gives juice to the weary traveler. :)

Thank you, btw, for the flying ointment. I did work for the first time ever and found the depth of the reading for the month much more… what’s the word? I want to say bitter for the sharpness but not the *squishy face* but also core. Well in essence it was a lovely addition to my work.

Respect from Los Angeles

Scott

49. Soli says:

Amazing. Thank you for sharing.

50. Wow, what responses! I wish I had the time to respond to you all individually. This is one of those posts that’s been in draft form for a couple years with me being too chicken to publish it – I’m so glad I did and that others were able to relate to my path and experiences. We all may walk our own paths, but we’re never really alone!