A Witch’s Birthday

Spoiled Witch

It was my birthday recently (hence the slowness around these parts) and I was well-spoiled by friends and family. How old am I? Well a lady never tells her age, and I’ve been told I’m a lady, so it will have to remain a mystery. I was spoiled with wildcrafting books and a large granite mortar and pestle by my man Mojo who took me out for a witchy day about town to Banyen Books, Aphrodite’s Cafe, and then off to a movie. It was indescribably delightful to spend a whole day out with my sexy man.

Aphrodite's Cafe

Birthday Breakfast Milk Oolong and Cream Earl Grey Teas

The day after my birthday I spent with my apprentice as it was her birthday. We spent the entire day exploring Granville Island with the leisure we’d always wanted to, but never had the time for. We made our own breakfast from the market of fresh croissants, fresh figs, local goat cheese, wild boar proscuitto, and duck proscuitto (yes, duck proscuitto!!). Can you say foodgasm? We were still hungry so we wrapped the wild boar proscuitto around the fresh figs and chunks of well-aged gouda – that seriously went beyond a foodgasm to the realm of something divine. We visited our favourite shops and artisans and then stopped for a beer tasting at the Granville Island Brewery. Six different flavours isn’t hedonistic at all…

Totem Pole Carvings in Progress

Skeins of naturally dyed silk at the silk weaving studio

Empty beer glasses - I swear they're mini

Other wonders and curios found their way into the mail box or were delivered by hand just in time for the celebration – the lovely new issue of Hex Magazine, a copy of Pan’s Labyrinth, a bottle of Liquor Strega for Diana, a whole Raven’s wing, a 1920s book of Polish fairy tales from my parents, and a copy of The Visions of Isobel Gowdie. I received a lot of birthday wishes and phone calls from family out east. It was a great birthday this year thanks to the wonderful people I am surrounded by – so thank you all so very much!!

Comments

15 Responses to “A Witch’s Birthday”

1. ibejimom says:

Happy Birthday!

2. Mist says:

Happy belated birthday to you, Sarah! It sounds like a magical couple of days indeed.

3. Happy Birthday! Your day sounds decadent and fabulous. wild boar & duck proscuitto and lovely tactile yarns and such sound like heaven to me! Your birthday loot (a raven’s wing? I am covetous!) sounds fantastic to boot. Lucky lady!

Lily, aka Witch Mom

4. Rachel says:

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a most awesome celebration :)

5. Ariel says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! that sounds amazing hope it was great. :)

6. Swynwraig says:

Penblwydd Hapus/Happy birthday!!!!

7. FreeDragon says:

Happy Birthday and may you have many more to come

8. Nix says:

HAPPY BE-LATED!
    I hope you had a wonderful one (but I can already see you did!)

9. Gary says:

Sounds as though you celebrated your special day in grand witchy style shared with loved ones, with good food and entertainment and, of course, with some discretionary shopping!! Best Wishes and a Happy Belated Birthday, Sarah! (Joyeux anniversaire tardif!)

10. Marilyn says:

Happy Birthday! Looks like it was a fabulous one!

11. Grey Catsidhe says:

Happy birthday!

12. sara says:

Happy (belated) Birthday!!

Six beer flavours isn’t hedonistic at all :)

And duck proscuitto’s not too hard to make, if you decide to do this next time you have a fat little duck. Michael Ruhlman has instructions on his blog, if memory serves.

• I am quite tempted to start making my own beer on top of the mead I already make – Mojo doesn’t drink either so it’d all be mine, muahaha…

I didn’t even know it existed before my birthday. My former chefs just would’ve died to know such a thing existed. I want to try to make my own now so thanks for the heads up Sara!!

• sara says:

I followed the instructions in his Charcuterie book, but here’s the blog post:

It came out quite good. I just did basic salt and ground black pepper, but there is plenty of room for creativity with seasonings. Going to do this again in the fall when my kitchen starts to cool off.

OH! And beer is a heck of a lot fun, too :)

13. J. says:

Happy birthday to you and you apprentice! Sounds like you both had a lot of fun.

I was spoiled by by partner with a huge ceramic planter box, nice and deep as well as around a meter long. I can’t wait to plant in it! I also got a book on growing just about any herb, vegetable or fruit you could ever imagine of my mother. It’s fantastic!