Witchcraft on the Day of Saturn

Yesterday my lovely witches came over for some witchcrafting after fasting and bathing. We consecrated protective talismans in ritual using an altar I’d set up on my grandmother’s old table inside a sigil drawn with white cornmeal. We consecrated them by spring and rain water, by rich black earth, by the fire of the candles, by air of the smoke from the burning of fragrant mercurial herbs and lastly when reborn as talismans we anointed our objects with holy oil I made from a recipe from the Old Testament (it smells divine).

Then after copious amounts of tea, I set them to work crafting witch bottles for protection.ย  The purpose of a witch bottle is serve as a decoy for deception. If any evil magic, the evil eye, or curses of illness is sent your way, a witch bottle buried on your property with draw it and take it in instead of you. So of course it must be checked once or twice a year to make sure it hasn’t broken and needs to be replaced to continue protecting you. For this reason one should not make a witch bottle with a beloved jar or glass bottle! Newer versions are just vinegar, pins, and herbs, but the ones we made were, how shall I say this delicately… less pleasant.

Here they are above finished – the bottles sealed with candle wax and then bound with read wool and bound again around the neck, and then sealed again with wax so the wool doesn’t unravel. They are ready to be buried Afterward we created herbal sachets to protect our homes using red linen cloth and red wool, a drop of blood, and a blend of organic herbs. They are to be hung over the front door and replaced every year.

When the ladies had to leave, the Wigglians (Sparrow and Mojo) arrived to record a new episode of the Wigglian Way Podcast. But first, the three of us went out to hunt craft supplies and hit a few stores. I’m glad I went with them as one store was having a bead sale and I found a cimaruta and red coral! I remember thinking of looking for a cimaruta a couple days ago and lo and behold here was everything I needed to make one! The charm was traditionally strung with red coral so I got two different sizes for some variation and the cirmaruta had extra links to hang more charms from so I went though my collection of beads at home and found three appropriate charms – a five-petaled flower, a silver moon, and a skeleton key.

Join the discussion No Comments

• Love the cimaruta especially.

• Nikiah says:

Wow!– don’t tell me that you found that cimeruta at Michal’s?

• Sarah says:

Hehehe, yep, almost bought two of them! They had some very lovely Ganesha pendants too ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Wade MacMorrighan says:

Awe, man, I *never* find stuff THAT cool at OUR local Michaels in Des Moines, Iowa!

Ah…I do love planetary Magick, though, Saturday is typically (when necessity requires) that I pour my black beeswax candles and/ or make a Saturn Oil. Ditto with each subsequent Day of the week: eg. yellow candles/ Sun Oil on Sunday; Green or Rose Candles with Venus Oil on Friday, etc.

• Nikkie says:

I really love the cimaruta and red coral but I cannot wear red coral! :( I have high blood pressure do to high liver energy and that coral just makes it even higher! I have now found coral that is more pink than red (it does have red striations which I think is enough) and that seems to be okay. Just love those witch-bottles too! ๐Ÿ˜€

• What a magickal day!!! Love the necklace of course :) !

• Hanna says:

Hi Sara,

Can you recommend some good reading on sigil symbols? I have never worked with them before and I would like to learn more about them. I know they are a form of alchemy. Any help you can give I would certainly appreciate! Love you work and thank you for sharing.

Hanna

• Branwen says:

I have to say I’m completely jealous of that ram’s skull, an amazing speciemen. I also wanted to comment as I have been a reader for some time and wanted to formal let you know whow much I appreciate your posts. The images of your altars are always delightfully simple and elegant, you works are always rich and full of magic. Thank you so much for sharing with us.

• Sarah says:

Thank you very much Branwen! ๐Ÿ˜€

For the ram skull, Ebay is your friend! Check often, the one pictured was quite a steal as were our bull skulls!

• Hanna says:

Thank you Sara! That is exactly what I am looking for. I’m more into that type of magic than alchemy!

:) Hanna

• Wade MacMorrighan says:

BTW, are you sure that the coral beads from Michaels’ were *actual* coral? I’ve been nearly duped by their beards several times over the last 2 years; many of their stones look authentic, but…upon closer scrutiny were merely costume jewelry. It was a bummer, believe me!

• Sarah says:

These ones were definitely coral, not real red coral since it’s illegal to purchase it nowadays, but real – and the price reflected it ๐Ÿ˜‰